Single-Chip Dual-Band Combo Device Supporting 802.11n, Bluetooth 4.0+HS & FM Receiver
The Broadcom BCM4334 single-chip dual-band combo chip provides a complete wireless connectivity system with ultra-low power consumption for mass market smartphone devices. Using advanced design techniques and 40nm process technology to reduce active and idle power, the BCM4334 is designed to address the needs of highly mobile devices that require minimal power consumption and compact size while delivering dual-band Wi-Fi connectivity.
The chip includes IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n single-stream MAC/baseband/radio, Bluetooth 4.0 + HS, and an integrated FM radio receiver. It is designed to be used with external 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz front-end modules, which include power amplifiers, T/R switches and optional low noise amplifiers. The combo device also features advanced switching techniques that enable concurrent dual-band operation to simultaneously support network connectivity with one band while also allowing content streaming via technologies such as Wi-Fi Display and Wi-Fi Direct.
The advanced architecture supports the latest "always on always connected" (AOAC) applications such as push e-mail or Internet radio services, even while the host smartphone is in sleep modes, further preserving battery life. The BCM4334 also includes a power management unit, which simplifies the system power topology and allows for operation directly from a mobile platform battery while maximizing battery life.
- Dual-band 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n Wi-Fi connectivity
- Single-stream IEEE 802.11n support for 20 MHz and 40 MHz channels provides PHY layer rates up to 150 Mbps for typical upper-layer throughput in excess of 90 Mbps
- Supports the IEEE 802.11n STBC (space-time block coding) and LDPC (low-density parity check) options for improved range and power efficiency
- Complies with Bluetooth Core Specification Version 4.0 + HS with provisions for supporting future specifications
- Bluetooth Class 1 transmitter operation